BACHELOR OF DENTAL SURGERY
B.D.S. (Bachelor of dental surgery) is the branch of medicine. It is the study, diagnosis, prevention and treatment of diseases and conditions of the oral cavity and the adjacent and associated structures and their systemic connection. It is an undergraduate course of five years duration, which will provide detailed theoretical knowledge and practical learning experience. The curriculum of BDS is being regulated by the Dental Council of India (DCI). In order to get the admission to BDS course, it is mandatory for students to appear and qualify in the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET)
Duration of Course: 4 years and 1 year of internship.
Eligibility: Should have completed 17 years of age as of 31st December of the year of admission.
Should have passed Indian NEET Exam
1. General Human Anatomy including Embryology and Histology
2. General Human Physiology and Biochemistry, Nutrition and Dietetics
3. Dental Anatomy, Embryology and Oral-Histology
4. Dental Materials
5. Pre-Clinical Prosthodontics and Crown & Bridge
1. General Pathology and Microbiology
2. General and Dental Pharmacology and Therapeutics
3. Dental Materials
4. Pre-clinical Conservative Dentistry
5. Pre-clinical Prosthodontics and Crown & Bridge
6. Oral-Pathology & Oral-Microbiology
1. General Medicine
2. General Surgery
3. Oral Pathology and Oral Microbiology
4. Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics
5. Oral & Maxillo-facial Surgery
6. Oral Medicine and Radiology
7. Orthodontics & Dento-facial Orthopaedics
1. Orthodontics & dento-facial orthopaedics
2. Oral Medicine & Radiology
3. Paediatric & Preventive Dentistry
5. Oral & Maxillo facial Surgery
6. Prosthodontics and Crown & Bridge
7. Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics
8. Public Health Dentistry
MASTER OF DENTAL SURGERY
Master of Dental Surgery or MDS is a master degree course in Dentistry. Students who have graduated in Dental Science can do this course to get deep understanding of dental issues.
Duration: MDS course duration is three years.
A candidate for admission to the Master in Dental Surgery course, must possess a recognized degree of Bachelor in Dental Surgery awarded by a university or institute in India and registered with the State Dental Council and should have obtained provisional or permanent registration. In addition he/she should have undergone compulsory rotatory internship of a year duration in an approved/recognized dental college. There shall be a uniform NEET for admission to the post-graduate dental courses in each academic year conducted in the manner, as prescribed by the National Board of Examination or any other authority appointed by the Central Government in this behalf. The overall superintendence, direction and control of the NEET shall vest with the Council.
Qualifying Criteria for Admission to Post-Graduate Courses
The candidate has to secure the following category-wise minimum percentile in NEET for admission to post-graduate courses held in a particular academic year. Provided that the percentile shall be determined on the basis of highest marks secured in the All-India common merit list in NEET for post-graduate courses: