Eligibility Criteria for BDS
- Candidates for admission to BDS course must have passed in the subjects of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology & English individually and must have obtained a minimum of 50% marks taken together in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology at the qualifying examination.
- "Candidates seeking admission under NRI / Foreigner Quota are eligible for direct admission and there is no need to take any Entrance Examination."
- Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe students shall be given relaxation of 10% in the aggregate marks required for eligibility.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR MDS
Admission to the Master Of Dental Surgery (MDS) Course
Regulations for the MDS Degree
In view of the increase in demand for specially training, the Dental Council of India desires that, all Dental institutions with proper infra structural facilities, faculty and adequate clinical material shall start postgraduate courses. However, no institution shall start postgraduate courses without prior approval of Government of India as per the provision of the Dentists (Amendment) Act, 1993 and regulations framed thereunder, Before Inspection of the Institution to verify the availability of infra structural facilities up to BDS level.
A candidate for admission to the MDS course (Master of Dental Surgery) must have a recognized degree of BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) awarded by an Indian University in respect of recognized Dental college under section 10(2) of the Dentists Act, 1948 or an equivalent qualification recognized by the Dental Council of India and should have obtained permanent registration with the state Dental Council. Candidates not possessing a recognized Dental qualification for the above purpose should secure the prior approval of his qualification by the Dental Council of India.
Qualification for the above purpose should secure the prior approval of his qualification in the Dental Council of India before he can be admitted to the MDS Course of any University in India.
Candidates who possess PG Diploma recognized by the DCI with duration of 2 years (proposed) in particular specially is eligible for admission in MDS in the same speciality and the duration will be 2 years. The syllabus of two years programme will be as per the concerned university guidelines.
Provided that in the case of a foreign national, the Dental Council of India may, on payment of the prescribed fee for registration, grant temporary registration for the duration of the postgraduate training restricted to the dental college/institution to which he is admitted for the time being exclusively for postgraduate studies.
Provided that further temporary registration to such foreign national shall be subject to the condition that such person is duly registered as dental practitioner in his own country from which he has obtained his basic dental qualification and that his degree is recognized by the corresponding dental council or concerned authority.
Selection of Postgraduate Students:
- Students for postgraduate dental courses (MDS) shall be selected strictly on the basis of their academic merit.
- For determining the academic merit, the university/institution adopt any one the following procedures both for P.G. Diploma and MDS degree courses:
- On the basis of merit as determined by a competitive test conducted by the State Government or the competent authority appointed by the State Government or by the University/group of universities in the same state; or
- On the basis of merit as determined by a centralized competitive test held at the national level; or
- On the basis of the individual cumulative performance at the first, second, third & final B.D.S. examinations, if such examinations have been passed from the same university; or
- Combination or (i) and (iii)
Period of Training
The courses shall be of three years duration.
All the candidates for the degree of MDS are required to pursue the prescribed course for at least three academic years course as full time candidates in a BDS recognized and MDS approved/recognized Institution under the direction of the head of the Department, who has to be a recognized postgraduate teacher in that specialty.
Provided that in the case of a foreign national, the Dental Council of India may, on payment of the prescribed fee for registration, allow temporary registration, for the duration of the postgraduate training restricted to the dental college/institution to which he is admitted for the time being exclusively for Postgraduate studies.